School readiness groups
Blossom Occupational Therapy has partnered with Kidshine Early Childhood to offer the LEAP OFF! school readiness program. We are running our last program for the year in the fourth term.
The 6-week program is offered in a fun environment and provides children with the opportunity to learn and practice skills they need for successful participation in school.
When: Wednesday October 11th, 18th, 25th and Wednesday November 1st, 8th, 15th.
Time: 1:30 – 3 pm
Where: Highett Neighbourhood Community House, 2 Livingstone Street, Highett
Who: Children transitioning to school in 2018
The program will include:
- Social skills such as greetings, initiating and maintaining conversations, working and playing in groups
- Language skills such as listening to instructions, sharing information with the group, asking for help
- Literacy (introduction to letters, writing name); numeracy (basic number concepts)
- Hand skills such as writing, colouring, drawing and cutting
- Completing tasks, including attending and concentrating, planning and sequencing steps
- Following classroom rules and routines, remaining seated
- Parent support and ideas
- Additional assessment available at parent’s request
The group will be facilitated by two experienced paediatric occupational therapists.
Research tells us that the first 3 years of a child is characterised by exceptional growth in the brain. Research has also found that this process can be greatly enhanced when the baby is engaged in a nurturing secure relationship with a caregiver that is responsive to the child’s cues/ needs. The Make the Connection Program is a hands-on program that provides parents with practical strategies on how to develop a close bond and to respond to their child in a way that will give their child a solid foundation for all future stages of life.
As trained facilitators of the Make the Connection Program we offer groups for parents of children 0 -3 years old.