School readiness groups
Blossom Occupational Therapy has partnered with Kidshine Early Childhood to offer the LEAP OFF! school readiness program. It consists of a series of groups run in the April, July and October school holidays. You can enrol your child in any one, or all three of these weeks.
Each 4 day program is offered in a fun environment and provides children with the opportunity to learn and practice skills they need for successful participation in school.
When: Group 1: Tuesday 4th – Friday 7th April 2017
Group 2: Tuesday 11th – Friday 14th of July 2017
Group 3: Tuesday 3rd- Friday 6th of October 2017
A 4th group in January 2018 may be available to children who had attended at least one of the 2017 group to further consolidate skills if necessary.
The programs will include:
- Social skills such as greetings, initiating and maintaining conversations, working and playing in groups
- Language skills such as listening to instructions, sharing information with the group, asking for help
- Early literacy and numeracy
- Motor skills such as remaining seated, drawing and scissor skills
- Completing tasks, including attending and concentrating, planning and sequencing steps
- Following classroom rules and routines
- Managing own lunchbox and belongings
- Parent support and ideas
The group will be facilitated by two experienced paediatric occupational therapists.
Research tells us that the first 3 years of a child is characterised by exceptional growth in the brain. Research has also found that this process can be greatly enhanced when the baby is engaged in a nurturing secure relationship with a caregiver that is responsive to the child’s cues/ needs. The Make the Connection Program is a hands-on program that provides parents with practical strategies on how to develop a close bond and to respond to their child in a way that will give their child a solid foundation for all future stages of life.
As trained facilitators of the Make the Connection Program we offer groups for parents of children 0 -3 years old.